Sunday, June 5, 2011

'We were mates, but I knew something wasn't quite right'

HE WAS known to everyone as popular restaurant owner Christopher Trent.

In reality, he was child abuser Leslie Andrews, who had faked his own death almost a decade earlier to escape justice.

As Andrews, 54, awaits sentencing for his crimes against a teenage girl dating back to 1997, residents of the East Riding resort where he lived a secret life have spoken of their shock.

Instead of keeping a low profile, 6ft 6in Andrews made a name for himself as a successful restaurant owner and womaniser during almost six years living in Hornsea.

He opened Charlestons restaurant in Newbegin with one of the women he had a relationship with.

Her son, who wished only to be known as a local chef called Johnny, said: "My mum met him at a caravan park in Filey. He moved to Hornsea from there."

Johnny revealed how the man he knew as Christopher first came into his life as normal, pleasant man.

However, it was not long before Johnny became suspicious.

He said: "My first impressions were that he was amicable and quite courteous.

"The more I got to know him, the stranger things got.

"He never had any identification, bank cards or even a driving licence."

Johnny said his mother was left heartbroken when her relationship with Andrews broke down. He said: "When they split up she was very hurt as she thought he was quite special at first.

"When I heard about the convictions I was gobsmacked."

Andrews' best friend in Hornsea, Terry Mullins, has now bought the former Charlestons restaurant from his old drinking buddy's ex-girlfriend.

Mr Mullins, 44, said: "I met him when I worked at the Tow Bar Inn, but I knew him as Chris.

"I couldn't believe it when I found out who he really was.

"I used to go drinking with the fella – we were best mates. I always thought there was something not quite right, but I thought it was tax evasion.

"He befriended everyone in Hornsea, he was a real nice guy to talk to."

The old Charlestons – now called Le Beau Jardin – is soon to be renamed Four Centuries.

Mr Mullins said: "It's got nothing to do with that man and it hasn't had for years."

After running up big debts, Andrews left Hornsea suddenly in 2009.

His true identity was uncovered when he was arrested on suspicion of stealing �2,000 from an employer by Wakefield Police.

Andrews will be sentenced later this month after a jury convicted him of child sex abuse charges.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503342/s/15a73044/l/0L0Sthisishullandeastriding0O0Cnews0Cmates0Eknew0Ewasn0Et0Equite0Eright0Carticle0E362820A50Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Energy Taxonomy Protest World Cup 2022 Slovakia Marcus Bent

No comments:

Post a Comment