Friday, March 11, 2011

After we waited two-and-a-half years for a donor, I had to step in

"I was devastated when I first realised that Ian had kidney failure. There were two main reasons for this. One, his father went through a rough time with the same problem, and two, no-one wants to see their child suffer.

I knew exactly what was coming – dialysis three times a week and a steady decline in health, waiting for a kidney to be available for transplant.

Nevertheless, Ian had a very positive attitude and, with the help of his wife, Kay, who has been an absolute rock, they decided to dialyse at home.

Their spare bedroom became his hospital ward while dialysing. Kay had a lot to learn – and she was absolutely marvellous.

They were advised they were not likely to be able to start a family while he was on dialysis, so they decided to wait until he had a kidney and no longer needed the treatment.

Nevertheless, they did conceive and our beautiful granddaughter arrived.

Kay taught me how to use the machine while she was recovering, which was not easy.

Watching them both dealing with the dialysis and a new baby was really difficult.

Also, wondering if every phone call could be the one to say a new kidney was available was quite harrowing.

Ian was getting weaker, their life was on hold.

After nearly two-and-a-half years of this, I decided it was time for me to step in.

I offered to get myself checked to see if I was a match and could donate one of my kidneys.

I had the check and I was a match. But I had not been in good health myself. I was anaemic, so needed a blood transfusion, plus I was advised to have a hysterectomy.

Ian said to forget about the kidney, and to get myself well first.

I got over my op very well, so a year on we decided to go ahead.

On February 1, 1996, we went in to Leicester General Hospital, both very nervous but excited.

Ian came to see me in my ward, gave me a huge hug, and went back to his ward knowing that in a few hours my nice healthy kidney would be inserted into his body to give him a new lease of life, we hoped.

I went down to operating theatre first at midday and he went down later.

I got over this operation very well, considering that the scar is 12 inches long and a rib was removed. Ian took about 12 months to recover, and it was touch and go whether it would be a success.

Now, 15 years later, he is having a wonderful life.

His beautiful daughter is now nearly 17, Kay is a wonderful wife and mother, he is having holidays he never dreamt he would have, has secured a position of editorial artist at the Leicester Mercury, and we are all very proud of his achievements.

He has just been for a check-up, and everything is perfect.

I have never suffered any ill effects from this procedure and I advise any parent to consider it if their child is in the same position. It is well worth it.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/13435024/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0Cwaited0Ehalf0Eyears0Edonor0Estep0Carticle0E33130A0A80Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Liverpool Burlesque Tim Cahill Premier League Weekend breaks Retirement planning

No comments:

Post a Comment