Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Inside the Bridgestone ropes with ... Charl Schwartzel

A quick nine with the Masters champion from South Africa.

schwartzel-masters-2011-ap.jpgView full sizeAugusta National is always going to rank highly on the favorite courses of 2011 Masters champion Charl Schwartzel.

AKRON, Ohio -- A quick nine with the Masters champion from South Africa.

Born: Aug. 31, 1984, Johannesburg, South Africa.

Height/weight: 5-11 / 140.

Turned pro: 2002.

Schwartzel was a relative unknown in the United States until April, when he rallied to win at Augusta, Ga. Schwartzel shot a 6-under 66 on Sunday -- best final round by a winner in 22 years. He became the fourth straight golfer to win his first major and the second South African in the past three.

Q: What do you remember most from your victory at the Masters?

A: Coming down the stretch being in contention, and feeling the adrenaline that comes with it.

Q: You seemed ultra-calm as you closed with four straight birdies to win by two. Were you?

A: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I think everyone would get nervous in that situation. The key is the way you control it. I never got to the stage where I was rattled.

Q: You held a lead when you walked the 18th fairway. Were you able to enjoy it?

A: I thought about watching Tiger, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer making that walk with a lead. Now I was doing it, and it was pretty special.

Q: Favorite course you've played?

A: Leopard Creek in South Africa. It's set in a nice environment. I always judge a course by how many times I could play it over and over, and that is one for me. Augusta National, of course, is right on its heels.

Q: Favorite club in the bag?

A: My putter is quite special to me. I've had the same sort of putter since junior. It's a look that I like.

Q: Preferred activities away from golf?

A: I like flying, water skiing, hunting. Almost any outdoor sports.

Q: So you have a pilot's license?

A: Yes. And my helicopter license. I fly to tournaments every now and again in South Africa. I haven't registered for my license in the states. It would be pretty easy to do; I just haven't done it yet.

Q: Golfer you like to follow?

A: Before Tiger had all the injuries and everything went on in his life, he was by far the most exciting player to watch. But I just haven't seen him for so long, and things have moved on and changed, so I don't know.

Q: Caddyshack or Tin Cup?

A: I've watched them both, they're both good, but I think Caddyshack wins.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/golf/index.ssf/2011/08/inside_the_bridgestone_ropes_with_charl_schwartzel.html

Terrorism policy UK security and terrorism Women Road trips Bank of England Rob Brydon

No comments:

Post a Comment