Wednesday, February 2, 2011

'Learning on the job is vital'

Martin Sanderson started out as an apprentice in his father's business and recognises how important it is to learn on the job.

That is why he wants to pass on his own skills as part of the Leicester Mercury's apprentice challenge.

We have joined forces with Leicester College to try to match 100 people with apprenticeships in 100 days.

Sanderson Decorators, in Clarendon Park, Leicester, is one of more than 30 companies which have come forward to express an interest in taking on an apprentice.

Mr Sanderson's company will take on 17-year-old Jason Bramley, who will spend one day a week at Leicester College and the rest of the time learning on the job.

Mr Sanderson said: "The firm was owned by my grandfather and passed on to my father, and now me.

"I started as an apprentice and I know how important it is, especially in this climate, to get hands-on experience.

"We take apprentices on every year, the majority of them through Leicester College.

"We've always had a great relationship with it and the apprentices it puts forward have been enthusiastic and willing to learn."

Jason, who lives in Glen Parva, said he was looking forward to getting on with the job and learning a trade which would stand him in good stead for the future.

He hopes eventually to set up a business.

He said: "I was already on a painting and decorating foundation full-time course at Leicester College and heard that there was an apprenticeship available with Sanderson.

"I decided to go for the interview and see what happened.

"By taking an apprenticeship on I'll get a lot more hands-on work, which suits me as I prefer practical work.

"I'll have a level two painting and decorating diploma at the end of it.

"I particularly enjoy papering and special effects and would like to start my own business in the future."

We want to hear from people aged between 16 and 65 who are looking for valuable work experience, and from companies that can offer them an apprenticeship.

So far we have had nearly 800 people inquire about a job and 33 companies come forward.

The challenge is being supported by local and national politicians and Leicestershire Chamber of Commerce.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/12627be2/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CLearning0Ejob0Evital0Carticle0E31690A90A0Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Waste US military Alps Cheryl Cole Health & wellbeing Soap opera

No comments:

Post a Comment