Friday, January 28, 2011

Around the world in 180 days for cyclist

The 25-mile long route around Rutland Water is enough for some cyclists.

But not Ian Reeds, who plans to cycle 20,000 miles around the world in 180 days.

The 44-year-old will cycle from Paris through Europe to Russia, then on to China and south-east Asia before taking on Australia and America and, finally, the last leg through Portugal and Spain back to Paris.

Ian, who lives in Great Stretton, is not fazed by cycling more than 110 miles a day.

He's hoping to raise �100,000 for charity.

"I've cycled since I was a kid and I wanted to do a big challenge just as a personal thing," he said.

"I started organising it a while ago and it's grown and become a lot bigger than I expected.

"I'm now raising money for charity and I'm also planning to visit schools along the way.

"It's going to be a really big adventure.

"The world record for doing it is 163 days, but given the route I've set and the fact I'll be stopping a few times, I think it'll be 180 or thereabouts.

"It's definitely do-able. I've cycled to Italy before and the longer I went on the better and faster I became.

"If you're used to cycling long distances it's not quite so daunting."

The intrepid trek has been named the Well-Mad Global Challenge.

"The name comes from the two antipodal points that I shall be cycling through," said Ian. "To be within the official rules of cycling around the world, one has to cycle through two opposing points on the globe.

"For me, this will be Wellington, in New Zealand, and Madrid, in Spain, hence, Well-Mad.

"You can choose your route and I wanted to go as far as possible before having to get my first flight, so I'm going to go through Europe and on to Russia and then through China and Vietnam.

"It's going to be fascinating to see how different life is to the UK."

Ian is taking six months unpaid leave from his job as an archaeologist at the University of Leicester to complete the trip.

The father of one is setting off for Paris at the beginning of April with his 11-year-old son, Casper, who will wave him off.

He is hoping to get sponsored along the way, with the money going to Leicester charity Hope Against Cancer and The Multiple Sclerosis Society.

"Lots of people I know have been affected by cancer and Hope Against Cancer is a local charity, so I wanted to support it," Ian said. "A friend of mine's mother has got MS and it's one of the scariest diseases you can have.

"I think it will be good to do something for that charity."

Ian starts his journey on April 2.

To follow his progress, or to sponsor him, visit:

http://wellmadride.org/



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/122bd955/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0Cworld0E180A0Edays0Ecyclist0Carticle0E3154410A0Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Newspapers & magazines Arsenal Job hunting European football Incineration Tony Cottee

No comments:

Post a Comment