Sunday, January 23, 2011

Degree student is an inspiration

A student who wrote about the degenerative muscular condition which leaves her unable to smile, as part of her degree course, has graduated.

Sarabjit Parmar, 27, from Evington, Leicester, has had facioscapulohumeral (FSH) muscular dystrophy from childhood.

The genetic condition causes a progressive weakening of skeletal muscles in the face, shoulders and upper arms and means she has difficulty speaking.

Yesterday, Sarabjit, who has been a permanent wheelchair user since the age of 14, graduated from the University of Derby with a 2:1 Joint Honours degree in Media Writing and Creative Writing.

Sarabjit says she has never let her disability get in the way of achieving her goals and despite having to commute to Derby every day by taxi, she was determined to complete the course.

She has written about her experiences of living with FSH muscular dystrophy in a range of publications and wrote her final-year dissertation on the way disability was portrayed in the fashion and modelling industry. "Three years ago, I had awfully big doubts about committing myself to a university course, where to go and what to study," she said.

"My commute was long and tiring at times, but I knew what I wanted out of life and I'm very ambitious.

"People are often amazed at how much I've achieved in my life – sometimes I can't believe it.

"I never in my wildest dreams predicted I'd set out to do all that I have done, but once I get an idea, there's really no stopping me.

"Looking back, the degree in Derby was the best decision and I'm extremely grateful to all those who have helped me since those first few anxious days.

"I may be disabled myself but even I was surprised at how much I really didn't know about disability representation. It really has been a learning curve."

Sarabjit now wants to use what she has learnt on her degree course to make a living as a freelance writer.

Colin Dyter, subject leader for the course, said: "Sarabjit is a very determined student who has overcome enormous difficulties to successfully complete her degree.

"I'm sure she'll do well in her writing career in future."

In Britain, FSH muscular dystrophy affects one in every 50,000 people to varying degrees.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/11ed5059/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CDegree0Estudent0Einspiration0Carticle0E3130A8470Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Asia ITV Kevin Campbell European Union Twilight Canary Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment