Saturday, January 1, 2011

Here's hoping 2011 is tough to beat - some thoughts on the year ahead...

We asked the great and good of Leicestershire to share their thoughts on the coming year - here they are...


"I hope next year we'll be in another division. We're going to try as hard as we can and I hope for your support. The fans have been fantastic since I arrived at the club." Leicester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson

"I'm not wishing a happy New Year to the ruddy city council. They've got no money, but they're spending �30 million on a new headquarters. What a rotten lot." Leicestershire Chronicle columnist Winnie Aldwinkle, 82

"I'm very pleased with 2010. I hope to continue to climb the rankings. I wish readers a happy and prosperous New Year and the Tigers good luck. I hope Leicester City turn the corner in 2011." Snooker star Mark Selby

Oliver: "Please, please, please can everyone be a bit nicer to each other next year." Dylan: "I want to see more smiley, happy faces. Like mine was when I opened my Mario Cart DS game on Christmas Day." Our chatterbox columnists, eight-year-old Dylan Hughes and Oliver Cramp

"It's been an absolutely wonderful year for me. I want to thank everybody, especially those in Leicester who voted. It's allowed me to progress to where I am now." Charlie Bruce, winner of TV's So You Think You Can Dance

"Looking back at 2010, we both just think, 'wow'. Getting on to the X Factor live shows was something we'd dreamt about but never thought would happen. Have a 'divalicious' new year everyone." X Factor Live Finalists Diva Fever

"2010 was a testing time for us all, from the flooding in Pakistan to those who tried to divide us as a city on October 9. We need to continue to cultivate love for each other." Suleman Nagdi, Federation of Muslim Organisations

"I wish a happy, progressive, sharing, caring, successful 2011 and onwards." Resham Singh Sandhu, chairman of Leicestershire Faith Forum

"The new year looks good for Kasabian. Our hopes for next year are just to keep going the way we have been. I'd like to say a big thank-you to all our fans who have supported us, not just this year but from the start." Chris Edwards from Kasabian, on behalf of the band

"Happy New Year to you all. I hope you have a peaceful and rewarding year in whatever you do and let's hope it's another successful one for the Leicester Tigers." Richard Cockerill, Tigers director of rugby

"2010 was a good year for me but I'm telling everyone 2011 will be even better, because I'll become world champion. I'm 100 per cent confident." Leicester's boxing binman Rendall Munroe

"I'm proud of what we've achieved in Leicester in 2010. Educational standards have risen and our regeneration of the city has continued. As we move into 2011, we face huge challenges. It's important to remain positive and meet those challenges head on." Veejay Patel, city council leader

"2010 has been a heck of a year. I was lucky enough to land myself a final place in Over The Rainbow and from that I got my first West End job. Playing Sandy is amazing and I'm having a whale of a time. Literally, all my dreams have come true." Lauren Samuels, Over the Rainbow finalist

"During the festive season, it's important to think of the men and women, many of whom are from Leicestershire, serving in war zones overseas, away from their friends and relatives." David Parsons, leader of Leicestershire County Council

"2011 will be a challenging year for the people of this great city. I'm confident we'll pull together as we have done in the past to turn the page so that this new year will create the climate and conditions for our people to prosper." Keith Vaz, Leicester East MP

"Happy New Year to everyone. I hope 2011 will bring people new opportunities they may not have had in the past." Abu Taher MBE, president of the Bangladesh Development Trust

"We know 2011 will be a difficult year. Two things will be important. Firstly, that we pull together, ensuring those hardest hit are supported by the rest of us. Secondly, that we continue to hold the vision for the regeneration of our communities, for a better future when the hard times are over. Happy New Year."  Bishop of Leicester, the Rt Rev Tim Stevens




BBC International criminal justice Italy Simon Cowell Financial crisis England rugby union team

No comments:

Post a Comment